BHP BILLITON MARKETING ASIA PTE LTD
We have a vacancy of Economist in our company, BHP BILLITON MARKETING ASIA PTE LTD. This vacancy is based in Singapore Singapore. Please go through the job detail mentioned below.
Position Title: Economist
Company: BHP BILLITON MARKETING ASIA PTE LTD
Work Type: Full Time
City of work: Singapore Singapore
URL Expiry: 2022-10-09
Posted on: https://sg.jobsoffices.com
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About The Role
The Market Analysis & Economics (MAE) team is BHP’s in-house research and analysis unit. We help to influence and shape value creating decisions through rigorous, independent and innovative research, analysis and forecasting of macroeconomic and commodity market developments.
We are looking to hire an Economist to join our team. You will be responsible for producing global forecasts of macroeconomic variables (such as GDP, CPI and FX) and end-use sectoral demand to inform BHP strategy. We provide research support and critical advice to the Commodity and Procurement Analysis and Research teams, as well as Commodity Marketing units. This position will be influential in forming BHP’s view of the global economic outlook.
- short term analysis and long term forecasting of a number of economies including China, India, key developed economies and important emerging markets such as Vietnam and Indonesia, out to 2050, and
- building competency in, and increasingly contribute to the analysis and forecasting of a number of “end-use” sectors (both industrial and agriculture) of importance to the commodity value chains related to BHP’s portfolio, and
- establishing and maintain appropriate relationships within the broader Market Analysis & Economics function within BHP, other country observers, particularly China, India and the South-East Asian region, economic think tanks and the resources/energy sector.
- Works closely with the rest of the MAE team to provide short, medium and long term assumptions and guidance on the direction of the global economies.
- Establishes and maintains a very strong network and contacts with other country observers, economic and industry think tanks and government economics & policies authorities and the resources/energy industry.
- Monitors the global economy, particularly key commodities consuming and producing countries, to provide timely information, insights and guidance related to the macro-economy as events occur.
- Maintains and improves existing models as well as developing new models to forecast long run macro variables, such as GDP, inflation, and exchange rates, for current and potential demand regions.
- Provides agricultural practice knowledge and experience on crop performance, fertilizer use, soil management practices.
- Assists in maintaining and updating global crop forecast model.
- Delivers research projects that develop views on the macroeconomic development of current and potential demand regions.
- Works closely with the MAE team to be able to predict future opportunities and changes.
- Performs in-depth analysis on the underlying macro issues and industry sectors in order to come up with a comprehensive view on prospects for the resources/energy industry.
- Works with the team to incorporate the impacts from Climate Change to the global economy.
- Identifies and communicates underlying macro issues and their industry implications for the wider analyst team to develop a comprehensive view on prospects for the resource/energy industry.
- Produces insightful written research for a variety of audiences, both specialist and generalist.
- Engages constructively with key internal stakeholders, including commercial, strategic, and executive functions.
- Provides credible and articulate presentations on macroeconomic material to appropriate audiences.
- Employs econometric techniques while working as an ‘internal consultant’ to other teams to address forecasting questions.
- Assists the Vice President and the leadership of the Commercial function with projects as required.
1st class Honours degree in economics, plus a postgraduate qualification preferred. Experience gained in a government economic organization an advantage.
Experience & Technical Competencies
Of Particular Importance Are
The ideal candidate will have at least 5-8 years of research experience, strong academic qualifications and a demonstrable track record in analysis and forecasting in a macroeconomic context.
- advanced quantitative and qualitative analytical and research skills, practiced in a current or recent forecasting role.
- high levels of competency in econometrics and quantitative techniques required for conducting time series analysis, forecasting etc.
- experience of forecasting long term macroeconomic development preferred
- familiarity with economic and financial databases and modelling software, e.g. Bloomberg; CEIC; EViews, PowerNI would be a plus.
- advanced data visualization skills.
- a strong research network within the economic research and analysis communities.
- an ability to extract actionable insights under conditions of uncertainty.
- strong communication and stakeholder and management skills to brief technical and non-technical team members in the company.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.